Good Samaritan Hospital Nursing Home Offers Free Course on Falls Prevention
Stepping On covers improving balance and strength, home modifications, community safety, vision, medication review, safe footwear and sleep habits. The course is designed specifically for people who: 1) are at risk of falling, 2) have a fear of falling or 3) have fallen one or more times. Workshops are facilitated by trained instructors in order to provide a safe and positive learning experience. Classes are highly participative, with mutual support and success building participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health behaviors, reduce their risk of falls and maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Subjects covered include:
- Simple and fun strength and balance exercises
- The role vision plays in keeping your balance
- How medications can contribute to falls
- Ways to stay safe when out and about in your community
- What to look for in safe footwear
- How to check your home for safety hazards
Falls are the leading cause of injury and death among individuals age 65 and older.
For more information, please call 1 (855) CHS-4500.