The Brave Hearts of Good Samaritan Hospital Medical Center are a group of the hospital’s former open-heart surgery patients who offer support and assistance to current heart patients. Brave Hearts visit with patients to deliver membership certificates and lend an experienced view of recovery. They also staff a telephone support line for recently discharged patients. Members of this newly launched group publish a semi-annual newsletter, coordinate educational programs, and support one another in their post-operative experiences.
Brave Hearts Activities
For an annual donation of $15, the Brave Hearts offer the following resources to members:
- HeartLine: A phone listing of past open heart patients who are willing to speak with new open heart patients about their experiences. HeartLine details are published in the Brave Hearts newsletter.
- Newsletter: The Brave Hearts newsletter is produced semi-annually and includes updates about the Open Heart Program at Good Samaritan, Survivor Stories, HeartLine contact information, heart health news and tips, and save the dates for upcoming Brave Hearts events.
- Meetings: The Brave Hearts host semi-annual meetings at Good Samaritan Hospital for all members. Meetings include featured speakers on health-related and miscellaneous topics of interest to members. Meetings also provide for fun networking with other open heart patients.
- Special Events: Brave Hearts membership also offers opportunities to participate in special events and outings such as fishing trips, Atlantic City trips, Broadway shows, golf outings, dinners and dances.
- Hospital Visits: One to two times per week, Brave Hearts volunteers visit post-surgical patients who have left CTICU.
Interested in learning more about Brave Hearts membership or volunteering
with the Brave Hearts of Good Sam?
Contact Ashley King at (631) 376-4365 or Ashley.King@chsli.org for more information.