PET/CT Procedure Preparation
PET/CT & Imaging Center
1245 Montauk Hwy, West Islip
A special diet is required the day before the exam. If your PET/CT scan is before 12:30 pm, your meal should be no later than 9:00 pm the night before. If your PET/CT is after 12:30 pm, your last meal should be no later than 6:00 am the day of the scan.
- 24 hours before the exam DO NOT eat any carbohydrates or starches ( rice, fruits, vegetables, etc.)
- You may have protein ONLY (beef, chicken, eggs, cheese, fish, pork, etc)
- Drink Plenty of water
- NO CAFFEINE (coffee, tea or sodas including anything decaffeinated)
- No exercise or hard labor 24 hours prior to the exam
- Take all medications as prescribed by your doctor
- Bring your doctor’s prescription, insurance cards, and photo ID
If you are diabetic, please contact the PET/CT center at (631) 376-3058 for special instructions on how to prepare for your exam.
Please remove all jewelry and wear comfortable clothing with no metal zippers or buttons as these may interfere with the exam.
No Nuclear Medicine testing should be performed 48 hours prior to your PET/CT examination.